Thursday, February 9, 2012

Where's the motivation?

In 2010 when me and Joe found out we were going to be expecting a baby, shortly after I realized I needed a way to pay for the pregnancy.  I had a part time job at Target,  no benefits, nothin'! We didn't want to get married simply because I got pregnant, and my only other choice of insurance was to go through the state and get medicaid. 

I go to the little medicaid office and fill out paper work and get a proof of pregnancy from my doctor and they set me up with all kinds of benefits. I would have gotten a totally free pregnancy, all my visits were covered, and they were even gonna put me on WIC so I would've gotten food stamps. 
A little embarrassing, but hey, I'll take what I can get!


After the miscarriage my medicaid remained until I turned 21.  About 2 months before my 21st birthday, I realized my mouth was killing me and my eyes were straining. So I go and get my wisdom teeth checked out, and they tell me everything will be covered all I have to do is set up an appointment! Okay!  I get all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled out, my prescription for percocets was free, and I got out of work to 2 days. Can't beat that right?

A few weeks later I make an eye doctors appointment to get them checked out because I was blind as a bat at night.  I go in there expecting to have to pay for my glasses, duh, and maybe a copay for the exam.  They call me back for the exam, tell me what my prescription is and hand me a case of 15-20 pairs of glasses I can choose from for free! Hell yeah! And if I don't like those, medicaid will pay up to $100.00 of the designer glasses.  Being the cheap ass that I am, I go for the free ones, and pick out a nice pair of glasses, and they fit them to my face, and I was excited! My first pair of glasses! They said they'll call me in 2 weeks when they arrive.
What, no copay?
"Nope, it's covered! Have a nice day."

Well, damn! Gonna cook me dinner too??




Joe started his job back in July of 2011, and when they handed us a benefits packet to fill out and see what different plans there are to choose from, I got even more excited. My first real insurance, I won't be embarrassed to hand someone my medicaid card.  We choose a dental plan, an eye plan, and a health plan. We pay a pretty penny for this insurance every month, but I thought it'd all be worth it.
Right? 
You'd think having a job and actually paying for your insurance would be a good thing, right?

WRONG!

The only good thing about this insurance is the fact just about everyone accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield.  It sucks that everytime I go into a doctors office, whether it's to pick up a prescription, or to tell my doctor I have a sore throat, bam! $15.00 copay. 
Okay, okay... That's not too bad, 15 bucks?  But, when I was on medicaid it was free....?!?!
I went to the eye doctor this week to upgrade my glasses and see about getting a stronger prescription because these ones I'm still blind.
I go in for my exam, phew! No copay.  But don't worry they still got in their sucker punch.  They hand me my prescription and send me off to pick out my glasses, and she gives me a cute little box to walk around with and pick out glasses that I like the style of.  I get about 3 or 4 in my box and I happen to see a price, $260.00!! WTF! I nicely go up to her and ask what my insurance covers or if there were any that were free that my insurance will cover.  She politely says, "No there are no free ones, but your insurance will cover $100.00 of any pair and then you pay only 80% of the remaining charge!" So you're saying my insurance that I pay for every month, barely covers anything...correct?
She told me they cover the anti scratch coating but everything else there are % charges for.
So basically I'd be paying about $200.00 for a pair of damn glasses...
Umm....What?







So what your saying is...

People who pay for insurance monthly, who have a job, and work their butt off,  are being totally screwed?

That's basically what it sounds like.

When I was on medicaid, life was handed to me on a freakin' silver platter. And now because Joe and I have real jobs we're being screwed out of thousands of dollars a year on insurance and co pays?




Now, I understand medicaid is there for a reason, and I'm not dogging on people who have it...




But, is there something wrong with this picture or am I just crazy?

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to our backward society ! .. your not crazy.. our government is backward and now you know why many do not want to work.. don't get me wrong here. There are many people who do, however the government makes it so .. why try.. your right, will give it to you on the platter.. at tax payers expense.. remember not only are you paying thoes insurance premiuums by having a job .. but your tax $ are also paying for thoes who are getting it free.

    So your screwed either way.. unitl our government can Fix the economy.. Welcome to America the land of the free !!!!!

    ReplyDelete